Department of Industrial Technology
Department PhilosophyAs part of a comprehensive high school, the Industrial Technology Department will work to meet the needs of a variety of students. Although our basic goal is not vocational in nature, we will stress proper shop procedures and methods used in industry to give our students a practical look to later transfer. We will also expose our students to skills associated with technical professions, such as engineering. In both technical and skill based courses, the students will learn how to develop solutions to problems and in many cases create working models. Students will be given the opportunity to be creative and demonstrate their proficiencies by producing a finished product. We will accept our students where they are and expose them to a wide variety of experiences that will help them advance as far as their interest and ability can take them.
1. Solve Problems using the power of visualization
2. Demonstrate both skill and accuracy when developing and creating projects.
3. Analyze and develop projects showing constructive imagination.
4. Identify and analyze industry in terms of its organization, raw materials, processes, operations, and occupations.
5. Demonstrate and report on safety procedures and good work habits.
6. Demonstrate the proper use of modern tools and practices in related classes.
7. Solve original problems under the teacher's guidance.
8. Make sketches and drawings and then apply this knowledge to the construction of useful projects.
9. Select vocations and research educational needs associated with these professions.
10. Participate in research.
11. Demonstrate responsibility toward class requirements, students and the teacher.
12. Demonstrate an attitude of cooperation and self discipline.
13. Demonstrate the use of good craftsmanship when creating projects.
14. Use a design and problem solving process when developing solutions to design challenges.
15. Report on consumer's products to a point where the students can select, buy, use and maintain these products.
16. Demonstrate a positive attitude toward himself, co-workers and jobs.
17. Demonstrate basic skills in the area he/she has selected.
Recommended high school Elective Industrial Technology Sequence