Welcome to the Department of Special Education!
It is the intent of the Department of Special Education to provide eligible students with the instruction and support needed to meet the goals and expectations of each student's Individual Education Plan (IEP) while meeting maximum potential core content proficiency, and to assist each student in participating to the fullest extent possible in the total public, neighborhood school experience.
* Individualized, maximum inclusion to foster placement in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) with non-disabled, general education peers.
* Appropriate individualized instruction designed to close learning gaps and increase academic proficiency that are centered on content goals and related standards.
* Acquiring compensation skills to minimize the negative impact of learning deficits.
* Fostering the increased involvement in extracurricular activities.
* The development of realistic and positive self-image for the development of confidence, resiliency, and social competency.
* Developing transition plans including related services to facilitate movement from public schooling to life after public schooling.
* Attaining post-graduation vocational or academic goals for eventual adult independent living.
"There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of unequal people."
"Education is not preparation for life: education is life itself."
Last Modified on June 19, 2009