Course Description and Syllabus
Photo by Brigitte Burstein
EQUIPPED WITH HIS FIVE SENSES, MAN EXPLORES THE UNIVERSE AROUND HIM AND CALLS THE ADVENTURE SCIENCE. ~Edwin Powell Hubble, The Nature of Science, 1954
Message from Mrs. Burstein
WELCOME! I am extremely excited about this upcoming school year and I am completely confident that you will enjoy your time in this class. I have a huge passion for teaching & look forward to sharing my love of science with you. Together we will succeed!
What do I need?
~ 3 ring binder with notebook paper or a spiral notebook with a folder
~pencils and pens
~ agenda book (this is supplied by the school)
~ headphones (optional but strongly encouraged)
~ flash drive
What will I learn?
This science course is broken up into 3 main branches of science: LIFE, PHYSICAL and EARTH. A few of the general concepts we hope to explore include:
~Characteristics of Life
|~Forces & Motion
Expectations & Rules: What you need to SUCCEED!
~Come to class prepared everyday (homework, binder, pencils...)
~Be in seat, ready to learn & work before the bell rings
~ Follow ALL class routines & procedures
~Proper care of the textbooks in and out of class
~RESPECT yourself, classmates and teachers
I expect you to be cooperative, attentive, and respectful at all times! If a problem arises in which these expectations are not being met or the student is disruptive and putting the learning and safety of others in jeopardy then action will be taken.
Possible Consequences are:
1. Conference with the teacher
2. After school or lunch detention
3. Phone call home
4. Written referral to main office / removal from class
Photo by Brigitte Burstein
How will I be graded?
1. Tests, Quizzes, Classwork, Projects and Homework will be assigned through the marking period. You will be graded using a total point system. Assignments will vary in point value. Your grade will be determined by points earned divided by total possible points.
- When absent, missed work needs to be completed as per school policy in agenda book. Students that are absent will be given one day to make up missed work for each class period absent.
- During labs or other classroom activities, if a student displays irresponsible behavior, removal from the lab or activity will result in a zero grade.
- When using laptop computers, students are expected to follow ALL school rules and regulations.
- Late work will receive point deductions.
2. You will be graded using a total point system. Assignments will vary in point value. Your
grade will be determined by the points earned divided by total possible points.
Please feel free to see either Mrs. Burstein or Mrs. Best for extra help when needed. We are available for extra help in the mornings (7:15-7:30) and after school on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday until at lease 2:45. If you are interested in staying, please see us in advance to make arrangements.