Parts of Speech Review
1. Friendliness is an example of a(an)
2. Write three linking verbs.
1.____________ 2. ______________ 3. ____________
3. I, me, my, us, we, our are examples of _______________________________.
4. the adverbs in the following sentences:
a. Yesterday, I played football.
b. I will travel abroad for a year.
C. Maria quickly decided to go with her friends.
5. Down the mountain flew the members of the ski team.
the two prepositional phrases in the sentence above.
6. Write an example of a compound noun. ______________________________
7. Dana will pay for her tuition by check or by money order.
Circle the conjunction and underline the two phrases it connects.
8. Bill phoned from school last night and said that he lost his wallet.
Circle the antecedent for ‘he’ and ‘his’.
9. How is down used in each of these sentences?
(noun, pronoun, verb, adjective, adverb, preposition)
a. The team lined up for the first down. ____________________________
b. He can down a quart of milk in one minute. ____________________________
c. She often drives down from the city. _____________________________
d. The horse galloped down the lane. ______________________________
e. I bought a down comforter. ______________________________
10. the 5 prepositional phrases in the following.
For several days I have waited for snow. Finally, the flakes began to fall, and I watched out the window as the whiteness began to accumulate. “School will surely be cancelled,” I thought as I slipped into my ski pants. Sure enough, five minutes later, the call came, and school was closed for the day.
11. Use the word rule as (1) a noun and then (2) as a verb.
12. Use the word underneath as (1) an adverb and then (2) as a preposition.
13. Use the word highway as a (1) noun and then (2) as an adjective.
14. Circle the conjunctions in each of the following sentences and underline the words, phrases, or clauses they connect.
a. She asked whether football or baseball is my
b. We expect them either in the morning or in the
c. Neither flowers nor candy seems an appropriate gift.
d. Not only will the Smiths attend the party, but they
will also bring guests.
e. Unable to run or to hide, the mouse froze in his
15. Tell the part of speech for each of the underlined words.
noun adjective verb
a. A child can load a 35 mm camera. _______________________
b. To open it, she pushes a button. _________________________
c. She then inserts the fresh spool of film into the
empty spool space. _______________
pronoun adverb preposition
d. That leaves a tail or leader of film sticking out and ready
to be pulled. ___
e. She pulls the leader of film across the
f. She then inserts the edge of the film gently into the
slots in the empty spool. _________________
g. Pulling the film tightly, she quickly makes certain it
is in place. _________________________
pronoun adjective interjection
h. Presto! She now closes the camera.
i. An intelligent child has just loaded a 35 mm camera.
j. What could be easier!