MarketingThink about your cell phone or a phone that you would like to have. What features does this cell phone have that you enjoy? Does it have picture mail? Full keyboard? Color screen? Can you access the internet? Does it vibrate when the volume is low? Can you assign unique ringtones for different people who call you? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you can thank Marketing for making your product better.
The goal of most companies is to get you to purchase their good or service. In order to accomplish this, companies find ways to make their products and services more appealing to potential customers. This is why your cell phone has so many features that benefit all types of customers. LG, Motorola, Samsung, Blackberry, and many other cell phone makers are trying to sell their phones so they keep innovating new things that make customers want to purchase their products.
In Marketing we study business from many different aspects. Before the cell phone manufacturer added cell phone features that we enjoy they had to take care of some business behind the scenes:
· Understand what customers wanted (Marketing research)
· Figure out a way to make these things feasible (Research & Development)
· Let people know about the new cell phone (Advertising)
· Find out which types of customers would be interest in their phones and the web sites that they visit, radio stations they listen to, and television shows that they watch (Target market)
· Sell the product at the most convenient places for their customers (Place Utility)
· Find a way to get articles written about their new products (Public Relations)
These are just some of the things that we study in Marketing as we learn how companies make money. We also study how YOU can generate income as a business owner or become a more valuable employee to company because of your business understanding. Students often tell me that this class changes the way that they look at the world. We us real life examples and study products and services that students are interested in. Sign up for Marketing and learn how you can become financially successful in the future!