AP Computer ScienceThis is a full year class with a few goals in mind:
- Help students successfully prepare for the APCS exam, and receive college credits
- Improve Computational Thinking, Logical and Problem Solving Skills
- Explore the vast opportunities available in STEM careers (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
- Give the students an opportunity to challenge themselves in a fun and engaging way
Click here for the classroom rules and expectations sheetClick here for the summer assignment.Click here for the Intro to CS review with video links.Link to review videos on theNewBoston youtube site.Here is a sample program with FORMATTINGOnline Textbook and resources for homework:Go to https://runestone.academy for the online textbook that we are planning to use.- Create a username using your last name and first initial : Example: DetrickD- For the class put in WHAPCS2017Practice problems will be assigned from the following sites:APCS Test Review:Online videos for APCS reviewReview book for APCS - with timed testsAPCS Review Flash CardsedX free online courseTop 10 things to review - worksheetsAP test taking tips - Albert.ioMr. Horn - Tutoring and resourcesAP Resources - lots of linksSorting Algorithm visualLinks useful for class:Chatbots:Eclipse IDE:
AP Test Info:
- We will be writing most of our programs in Eclipse. Download the Eclipse IDE for Java Developers. Any release should be fine.
- Here is a good tutorial on Eclipse - Getting Started with Eclipse with Java
- Here is a link for a good tutorial on Eclipse. Eclipse is professional grade, which means there are a lot of features we won't use.
- Click here for Mr. Detrick's instructions on Eclipse, including setting headers, braces and expected coding style.
- AP Central has information about the test, test prep and lots of practice problems.
- Unofficial APCS website by Chris Nevison, the former AP Chief Reader.
- Dave Wittry has a good site for examples
- Sample games make with Java (mostly in Gridworld)
- Wyoming High School website with practice worksheets
Helpful videos / lessons:Here are microvidoes for all topics covered in AP CS at teachapcs.comSome of the links go to youtube which has additional links by the same teachers. Let me know if they are any good.Mr. Hazards - CS Java videosIsay Katsman - CS Java videos.Computer Science Dictionary
Applet that demonstrates different sorting algorithms.Please help me find some helpful videos on the following topics. Try to find interesting, short animations.
- Insertion Sort
- Selection Sort
- Merge Sort
- Any topics that would be helpful to AP or Intro to CS
Practice questions: - These can be used all year long
- This is a great site to practice writing actual code and seeing if it works - CodingBat
- Very cool online practice exam question site from Georgia Tech or this one if not opening
- Practice-It for practice problems
- This site looks like it has a lot of practice problems - Albert
- Array quizzes - quiz1 - quiz2 - quiz3 - quiz4
- Java API lists all the classes and methods built into Java.
- Textbook: Java Concepts by Cay Horstmann.
- Here is an online textbook that I have heard good things about - Java Au Naturel
- Online textbook with quizzes for each section by Bradley Kjell
Other useful and interesting link: