Intro to Computer ScienceThis is a full year class with a few goals in mind:
Click here for the classroom rules and expectations sheet
Introduce students to Computer Science and the Java Programming Language
Improve Computational Thinking, Logical and Problem Solving Skills that can be applied to numerous disciplines
Explore the vast opportunities available in STEM careers (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
Give the students an opportunity to challenge themselves in a fun and engaging way
Due May 1 or first class after that:Read these two articles (DNA and Police Cameras) and write 200 word opinion on your thoughts on privacy versus public safety.Links useful for class:Article on Roads of the Future - read and write a 150 word reflection on what stood out the most to youVideo Series on Computer Science Crash Course (not about programming, but everything else. Well done)String review video - Univerisity of Washington- video 1Fun with data compression on Code.orgCredit Card check digitApplets:Eclipse IDE:
Karel J Robot:
- We will be writing most of our programs in Eclipse. Download the Eclipse IDE for Java Developers. Any release should be fine.
- Here is a good tutorial - Getting Started with Eclipse for Java
- Here is a link for a good tutorial on Eclipse. Eclipse is professional grade, which means there are a lot of features we won't use.
- Click here for Mr. Detrick's instructions on Eclipse, including setting headers, braces and expected coding style.
Computer HistoryJava Info:
- We will begin the year by learning Java through Karel J Robot. At the website download the simulator which is about 2/3 down the page.
- This will need to be linked to Eclipse using the following Eclipse Instructions.
- Here is another way to set up Karel in Eclipse - video
- How to create a Karel world - here
ASCII artBinary Game
- Java API lists all the classes and methods built into Java.
- Java Tutorial Videos on YouTube
- Java tutorials at Bucky's Room
- Online Java Textbook with quizzes by Bradley Kjell
- Isay Katsman - CS Java videos.
- Mr. Hazards - CS Java videos
- String review video - Univerisity of Washington- video 1
- Online course at EdX - Intro to Java
- Fun game to learn binary
- In the beginning of the year, we will be using the Karel J. Robot book
- Then we will switch to Java Software Solutions (6th) which will mostly just be used as a reference. There isn't a good support site for this version.
- There is a lot of additional information on-line, including a reasonable on-line text Au Naturel
Other interesting CS Information: